Brittany does this every year, and it’s a good idea.
- What was the single best thing that happened this past year? Publishing my first iPhone app.
- What was the single most challenging thing that happened? Getting laid off 2 weeks into the year.
- What was an unexpected joy this past year? Actually learning how much Brittany loves me and will stand by and behind and in front of me.
- What was an unexpected obstacle? Losing my job and everything that came with it.
- Pick three words to describe 2013. Okay, plan B?
- Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2013 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you). Beauty from pain.
- Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2013 (again, without asking). Broken but good.
- What were the best books you read this year? … ask me next year.
- With whom were your most valuable relationships? Brittany, Andrew and Elizabeth Ramos, my former team at Blackbaud, my new co-workers, and my family.
- What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year? Last year, I learned I needed to do things. This year, I did them.
- In what way(s) did you grow emotionally? Learning not to tie my self-worth to my job.
- In what way(s) did you grow spiritually? Learning to trust God, even when it’s the last thing I want to do.
- In what way(s) did you grow physically? Are you going to ask me this every year?
- In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others? It’s ok to ask for help, and it’s ok to take it when it’s offered.
- What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)? After years of doing nothing but fixing bugs, it was so refreshing to work on building something new.
- What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)? Trying to find work and deciding what work to pursue.
- What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year? Probably Doctor Who, though I rediscovered YouTube recently…
- What was the best way you used your time this past year? PillTimer.
- What was biggest thing you learned this past year? God will provide, just as He promised.
- Create a phrase or statement that describes 2013 for you. It sucked getting here, but you’re here now; make $#!% happen.
As an aside, this is the first time in
forever about 4 years that I’m starting the year off without fearing for my job. The year before last, my fears were justified 2 weeks in. Last year, my fears were realized about 2 weeks in. This year, not only am I not sensing impending doom for my job, but I’m actually enjoying it.
So here’s to 2014.